Find Something Rad

Custom Search

Monday, February 23, 2009

George Murphy's

As I trek my way around the bar scene in Detroit I feel obligated to include all the places that I go regardless of how awesome the story is that surrounds them.  This is one of those posts.  But wait, I knew George Murphy would be an interesting name to search for on Wikipedia.  Turns out this beloved bar was named after a man who attended Yale, worked for Ford, was an actor and dancer and later senator.  For his full biography click here.

George Murphy's is located off of 7 mile and is more like the 19th hole for Fox Creek Golf Course.  We were there on a Thursday night with some folks, there were about 8 or 9 of us in the group and then probably 3 other people in the bar.  The atmosphere was laid back, I don't think there was any music going, but that's okay we were entertaining ourselves with conversation.  

They did end up having cheap pitchers of Coors Light ($6) and a friendly staff.  But they closed and pretty much asked us to leave at midnight.  Unfortunately the man George Murphy is unable to enjoy the bar with his namesake.  If I do go back I want to see how much the staff really knows about the great George Murphy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How rad is this?