Find Something Rad

Custom Search

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Barack Obama's Audacity of Hope

I just finished reading Barack Obama's book, "Audacity of Hope" and am refreshed and rejuvinated. His take on the U.S. and our current situation seems very similar to mine and I found myself saying, "Right on!" or "Amen" to a bunch of his ideas throughout the book. I highly recommend this book to Democrats and Republicans alike. The blues will appreciate that most of the things in this book are consistent with Obama's campaign for president. I challenge the reds to argue against any of his ideas on how to fight against some of the issues we as Americans face today.

I love that he preaches self responsibility for the rich and poor alike, black and white and every color in between. Self responsibility and doing away with the "me-first" mentality is the only way we can turn America around. But, and this is a HUGE but. I think it will only work if everyone goes along with it, and there will always be those trying to get ahead, and why not? That is capitalism. I think it also goes for foreign policy as well.

Here is my fear for President Obama. In the book he talks about many instances where he must vote on an issue and he does not agree with either side and has to pick the lesser of two evils, or has to vote a certain way to avoid bad press even though it may go against his morals and values. He attributes these votes to politics in general, and confesses that his job requires him to make compromises. Stand tall Obama and be strong.

I consider myself an Independent. I do not believe in voting for politicians only because of party affiliation. But many times it can be difficult to research every candidate for every office. What do you as a blogging public recommend I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

How rad is this?