Find Something Rad

Custom Search

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Happy Paczki Day!

Today is Fat Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday, and you know what that means in cities with large Polish populations like Detroit and Chicago... Paczki Day!

Go to fullsize image

The annual tradition of using up all the sweet dough, milk and eggs before giving them up for lent is alive and well in Detroit. I jovially wished all my coworkers a Happy Paczki Day when I walked in today and everyone knew what I was talking about. Some had even had their Paczki already.

Go to fullsize image

Due to the large Polish population in Hamtramck, it is said that the best paczkis are found in their bakeries and shops. But since I live in Ferndale I will probably get mine from a bakery or store closer to home. But don't let me talk YOU out of it. If you are looking for the best paczkis head toward downtown from the suburbs via I-75 and get off on Caniff (exit 55). Head to Hamtramck to support the local bakeries and economy.

Check out this great article from Ann Arbor.com with tons of info on Paczki Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How rad is this?